ASME A17.1-2019 / CSA B44-19 ‘Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators’
2.27.1 Car Emergency Signaling Devices (Phone Line Detection Code Compliant) 126.96.36.199.6
a) The voice communication means (RATH® SmartPhones) within the car shall include a means to verify operability of the telephone line, (RATH® 2100-ALARM) where
1) verification of the telephone line operability shall be automatically performed
2) verification may be continuous or periodic
3) periodic verification shall be at least on a daily basis
4) verification shall not require activation of the communication link(s). If means other than a telephone line (e.g., VOIP, network, intercom) are used for the communications, similar verification of this equivalent means shall be performed.
b) If the verification means in (a) determines that the telephone line or equivalent means is not functional, an audible and illuminated visual signal shall be activated. A minimum of one visual and one audible signal shall be provided for each group of elevators controlled by a fire recall switch.
1) The visual indicator shall
a) be located at the designated landing in the vicinity of the fire recall switch and visible to elevator user(s)
b) be labeled “ELEVATOR COMMUNICATIONS FAILURE” in red letters a minimum of 5 mm (0.25 in.) high
c) illuminate intermittently
d) continue illuminating intermittently until the telephone line or equivalent means is functional
2) The audible signal shall
a) be 10 dBA minimum above ambient, but shall not exceed 80 dBA measured at the designated landing fire recall switch
b) sound at least once every 30 s with a minimum duration of 1/2 s
c) continue to sound until silenced by authorized personnel or the telephone line or equivalent means is functional
3) A means to silence the audible signal shall be provided and shall be accessible only to authorized personnel. The signal when silenced shall remain silent for a period of no less than 12 h or until activated by the next failed periodic verification [see (a)(3)].
4) The verification means in (a) shall continue to monitor the operability of the telephone line or equivalent means while the telephone line or equivalent means is not functional on a continuous basis or periodically with intervals of not more than 5 min. When the verification determines that the operability of the telephone line or equivalent means has been restored after being nonfunctional, the audible signal shall be silenced unless the signal has already been silenced in accordance with (b)(3) and the illuminated visual signal shall be extinguished.